Friday, July 20, 2012

The Hopeless Romantic

Confession: My name is Jane and I am a hopeless romantic.
Which is why I have another obsession: romance novels.
Really truly. It's how I maintain my love life...through the experiences of others. When I say romance novel, I don't mean the harlequin paper backs in the grocery store that have "ripped bodices and heaving bosoms" (anyone guess that movie quote? hint. the book it's based off of is mentioned in this post.) and men with more muscles than is necessary. No. I mean Regency England, with all it's propriety and fabulous dresses and men that look like this:
THANK you Jane Austen for men like Colonel Wentworth.
I mean, really. The high collar, the perfectly messy hair and side burns. The cravat (how awesome is that word?!) and the perfectly fitting jacket and breeches (yet again. another fantastic word.) And the men in and of themselves?! Yes. Yes please. I will take a Mr. Tilney or Colonel Wentworth or Colonel Brandon ANY DAY.
Mr. Darcy saving Lydia's reputation for the love of Elizabeth? Yes.
Why can't life be like these?
If you haven't read this, do. Right. Now.
Especially this one (which has brought on this post). I just finished it. So. Freaking. Good. I just want to know, are there men like Philip Wyndham in this world and where can I get one? Also, I feel like Marianne Daventry SO MANY TIMES in my life. The way she looks at life is pretty similar to myself. So I feel like I need my Philip now.
My ALL TIME favorite Austen.
Win.
The two Jane Austen heroines that I identify most with are Catherine Morland and Elinor Dashwood. Catherine because of her love of novels (and I do have to admit, I have read some gothic novels and they are HILARIOUS.) and propensity to image life at it's best and the complete and utter hopeless romantic that lives inside her. And Elinor because of her strong sense of responsibility and how to respond to a situation...being the "good daughter" to Marianne's flighty-ness.
Anyways, I thought I'd share with you another one of my obsessions. I just feel as if something splendid will happen soon and here's hoping it's an Austen worthy romance.
PS, I saw this. And it reminded me of this post. It's a t-shirt and I want it. Badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...