Monday, June 4, 2012

DIY Beach Dress Cover Up

Victoria Secret offers a cute, simple beach dress cover up for around $40. Yikes! and as a tall girl I wanted something that would be a little less revealing on my frame. this is what I came up with.


Here's how I did it. super easy. took me less than 20 minutes.

Step One: Fabric
I used a yard of a knit stretch cotton. The cotton makes it absorbant and comfortable to wear over a wet swim suit.
Step Two: Straps.
I cut off about two inches from the bottom of my fabric to sew the straps. you could cut less and sew the straps and turn them out to make the hidden seam straps, but I took the easy way out and folded the two edges of the stirp to the middle and then in half and sewed down the one side.
Step Three: Arm Holes
Cut the top two corners off of the fabric. I did a rounded shape rather than going straight across. I made mine a little too big, so you may want to hold it up to you and check how much of an arm hole you need.
Step four: put it together.
Sew the straps to the two corners you created by cutting out the arm holes. I sewed the straps on the back and but it on and then pinned them to the front at a length I liked.
Step Five: optional
To finish I cut the botom corners off so I wouldnt have a sharp corner visable in the front. I just rounded the edge.

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Wish there were pictures of your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures would be really helpful! I tried to make this just by eyeballing it and it didn't work out well at all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...